January 01 2010
John Hope Bryant Appointed to NYSE Financial Literacy Advisory Committee
Operation HOPE founder to provide guidance to NYSE Euronext’s Global Financial Literacy Initiative
Money Sense is a new online educational resource for consumers, helping them improve their money-management skills and knowledge. NYSE Money Sense provides strategic guidance and recommendations on NYSE Euronext’s global financial literacy initiative.
“My colleagues at NYSE Euronext and I are grateful to John Hope Bryant and all the committee members for being part of this important endeavor,” said Duncan L. Niederauer, CEO, NYSE Euronext. “Financial education is a priority at NYSE Euronext and our goal with NYSE Money Sense and all of our related efforts is to provide high-quality, trusted information on personal finance and money management for consumers and employees of our listed companies.”
NYSE Money Sense encompasses a wide spectrum of personal-finance topics, connecting consumers with a variety of leading sources and experts in the financial industry to provide insights on topics ranging across five category umbrellas: Earn, Spend, Save, Borrow and Protect. NYSE Euronext is also encouraging its listed companies to further advance financial literacy, distribute NYSE Money Sense content to their employees, and offer links to the NYSE Money Sense on their internal networks.
“Bringing financial literacy to as many people as possible has been my goal since starting Operation HOPE in 1992. I am encouraged by the attention that the importance of financial literacy has received, in part due to the economic crisis. Rainbows because of storms,” said Bryant, 'silver rights' advocate and author of business bestseller, LOVE LEADERSHIP: The New Way to Lead in a Fear-Based World.
With literally hundreds of financial education resources available to consumers, NYSE Money Sense seeks to help connect consumers to valuable content, tools and online resources.
• The Course: A series of financial education lessons that lead up to a test so users can check their own financial literacy and obtain an NYSE Euronext promotional certificate showing their score on the test
• Ultimate Web Guide: In-depth reviews of sites containing financial advice, education or information
• Financial FAQs: Straightforward answers to frequently-asked questions about personal finance
• Dilemmas: Multi-media personalized questions, answered by top experts in the financial community
Other members of the NYSE Euronext Financial Literacy Advisory Committee include:
• Committee Chair Dr. Tahira K. Hira, professor, Iowa State University, and internationally known leader in the field of Personal Finance and Consumer Economics. For over 30 years Hira has taught graduate and undergraduate courses and conducted research in family financial management, investing, consumer credit, gambling and consumer bankruptcy in the United States and abroad
• Alvin Hall, financial educator and 25-year veteran of Wall Street, author of many articles and several bestselling books, and former host of the BBC’s award-winning series, Your Money or Your Life
• Dr. Jeanne M. Hogarth, manager for the Consumer Education and Research Section of the Division of Consumer and Community Affairs at the Federal Reserve Board and 13 year veteran on the consumer economics faculty at Cornell University
• Walter Schubert, a third generation member of the NYSE, Founder and CEO of The Schubert Group LLC, and founder of The Gay Financial Network, the first fully integrated financial information and services website for the LGBT community
• Muriel Siebert, founder, president and chief executive officer of Muriel Siebert & Co., Inc. and the first woman member of the NYSE
Operation HOPE celebrates April as National Financial Literacy Month through several events including an April 7th shovel ceremony for the Operation HOPE Financial Literacy Empowerment Center, Ebenezer in Atlanta, and - throughout the month - the education of over 11,000 students in 14 cities through the award-winning Banking on Our Future financial literacy program. To date, Operation HOPE has served more than 1.2 million globally.
NYSE Money Sense launched in conjunction with National Financial Literacy Month (April). To learn more on NYSE Money Sense, go to www.nysemoneysense.com. A NYSE Money Sense demonstration and explanation by David Cautin, NYSE Euronext Senior Vice President and Chief Digital Officer, is available at www.nyse.com/about/Video/1270115471481.html.